Vote for Change 2008

Vote for Change 2008

Every vote is a vote for things to stay the same. You’re voting for the system.

Don't blame me. I didn't vote.Jr. Ringer T-Shirt
Yellow T-ShirtBumper Sticker

1. Ron Helwig says:

I’m thinking a little too philosophical, not enough funny.

Spot on though.

2. […] Today’s Anarchy In Your Head comic points out that regardless of what politicians say, they still primarily represent the iron fist of the state.  Also, the iron fist can fly. […]

3. Tom Ploszaj says:

Thanks Dale. I like AIYH’s mix of satire, humor and questioning the status quo.

4. Agape says:

It’s amazing, the number of times I’ve gotten shock and borderline horror when I tell people I am intentionally not voting because even voting for third-party legitimizes the system itself. I will not pretend that the system is a valid method for achieving liberty! Even if what broke my utopian back, that was hoping change was possible within the system despite the evidence to the contrary, was the LP nomination. The party that was supposed to be intent on reforming the system towards greater liberty, “the party of principle” betrayed it to achieve something closer to mainstream. And that is what will happen each and every time, is what I see now. Anyone not toeing the mainstream lines will simply be marginalized and unable to affect real change, or they will become what they’re supposed to be an alternative to in order to attain the power seat.

And in the meanwhile their existence also legitimizes the main parties. “See? If the people wanted that, there’s somebody representing that position and they don’t get anywhere! Just because you saw me as the lesser of evils and voted for me to keep the other guy out because you were scared voting something else would let him in! Just because you didn’t even know the other options existed, or believe in my rhetoric because the education and media I mandate a monopoly/oligopoly on tells you that my kind of bullshit is what will make your life better, doesn’t mean that choice wasn’t there. The will of the people has spoken!” Was it Jefferson who described the idea of democracy as two wolves and a lamb voting on what’s for dinner? The myth is that it is ever right to deprive someone of their liberty, whether it’s a “traditional” tyrant ruling by divine mandate or the force of a junta, a person chosen by the majority who actually make it to a polling place, or the majority itself making the decision. My rights cannot be contingent upon anyone else’s belief in them, only on my desire to keep them.

5. geoff says:

Wouldn’t a write-in make a stronger statement?

6. Ron Helwig says:

When I was still in Minnesota, the local schoolies wanted an addition built to the school. Lots of money. They held a vote and it lost, so they waited the required time, and put it on the ballot again; only this time they made it a special election, in the worst part of winter. That virtually guaranteed that those most hurt by it, the elderly on fixed incomes, were much less likely to vote. [for those unfamiliar with MN, in winter the sidewalks can be icy and old folks are very afraid of breaking hip bones]

Anyway, the second time only 14% of registered voters went to the polls. It did pass, but with only like 60%. So with registered voters being about 50% of eligible voters, that means that less than 5% of eligible voters voted for it. Yet it still passed and was seen as legitimate.

The point being that even if you can convince 95% of the people that not voting is the better strategy, you still won’t be winning. And with more than 5% of the people being government employees, that ensures that what votes do occur will turn out worse.

I agree that anarchy is the desired goal to be working towards. I just don’t agree that not voting is the way to get there.

Geoff, I think writing in “Nobody” is a good idea but from what I’ve heard, they don’t even count them. So the slogan “Your vote counts” apparently only applies if you pick from the pre-ordained, the candidates chosen for us by the elite classes.

Ron, not voting is just a tiny first step. We should be using cases like that to raise awareness of why it’s not acceptable to make exceptions for evil acts, like stealing in this case, just because we voted that it’s ok. Like you said, they’ve gamed the system with the timing of that vote so they can get their way, even if it means kicking elderly out of their homes with exorbitant property taxes. You’ve pretty much admitted that voting isn’t much use in a situation like that where they’ve gamed the system. When you vote, you’re implying that you buy into the rules of their violent game, and it sounds silly to complain when you lose that game when you’ve chosen to play. That’s why I roll my eyes when someone gets angry about some politician and says that so-and-so representative “doesn’t represent me!” Well, do you buy into the democracy game or not? If you do, then you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth. That’s why I half-jokingly say that if you vote, you can’t complain.

8. Mark Warden, Porcupine Realtor says:

I like the wordy, intellectual style of this week’s toon. By the comments above, it appears to be a good topic.

9. Agape says:

Mark, It’s the age-old dilemma. Participate in the system in an attempt to keep it from crushing you, or abstain from the system and try to get rid of it. Political libertarians (anarchist and minarchist alike) versus apolitical libertarians. But yeah, geoff and Ron, if you believe a system is evil, inherently going to deprive you of your rights why continue to participate in it? And if a majority of people really started feeling like their vote didn’t matter, that’s when change could really start.

I also recommend, and sorry if it seems like I’m advertising the “competition” on yer site Dale, http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn?page=0 . If the objective is liberty, and something like voting for representatives doesn’t get you liberty, how has it given you value? How would any of us voting bring us freedom from tyranny? Media and education are the start of gaming the system, a la http://anarchyinyourhead.com/2008/03/21/the-anarchy-boogey-man/ , so people believe in the beneficience of government. The inherent danger in politicians is that positive promises to *do* something, and creating the perception that you *have done* something once you get into office, are what gets votes for politicians. And what gets either out there are the support of whoever’s top in industry, so either campaign contributions end up bribing politicians into a position or they select for politicians who have the “right” position by judgement of their contributors. Either way, changing politics to make it the vehicle for the change we need would require the disruption of the information monopoly, and disrupting the information monopoly would require changing politics.

And it really does sanction anything politicians do to vote, even for third party even if your guy doesn’t get in. You’re giving your stamp of approval to the system itself. The system that gives you whatever asshole is the one who ends up winning. It’s saying government isn’t the problem, it’s just which people are currently the ruling tyrants. I say, if you want to say unequivocally that the system itself, government itself, is what causes your loss of freedom, refuse whatsoever to participate in it.

10. Friday says:

Yaaaay, the Iron Fist of the State and the Anarchy Boogeyman return!

I like this one.

That iron fist should be darker in color.
    There should also be a sexy female fist with hip glasses to accompany the other fist.